Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Real or Fake Roman Military Diploma?  (Read 355 times)

Offline Elliott D

• Praetorian
Real or Fake Roman Military Diploma?
« on: November 14, 2023, 02:15:33 pm »
Hello, I recently purchased the attached fragments from an auction house that claims to be reputable. I am inclined to believe them, however, I sent the attached photo to two experts on military diplomas. I have other pictures, too, if needed. These experts claim that the fragments are not authentic. Would anyone be able to offer me advice on what to do next? Thank you!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Real or Fake Roman Military Diploma?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 05:03:10 pm »
Sorry, they look nothing like any genuine Roman military diploma fragments I have ever seen.

The form of the letters is way off and it looks, from the photos, like the letters are raised - if that is the case then it is absolutely certain that they are a modern cast fake.

If the dealer is truly a reputable one they should take them back.

It might be worth your while grabbing a bunch of images of military diplomas from online, especially ones from museums, but also from higher end dealers.  You will quickly notice that they all look quite similar, and nothing like yours.

You could send the images along with your request for a refund and then you are not justing quoting some "so-called online experts", even if we are in fact good ones.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Elliott D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 05:28:32 pm »
Thanks for your help! I know I sound like a rube when I say that they insisted that they were authentic. I'd consider their auction house high-end - but in terms of ancient coins, not necessarily antiquities. See the paragraph in the attached image. They said that the fragments might come from a tabula and that these fragments were found in southern Italy. Not sure if this information changes your advice! Oh, and the letters are not raised. Thoughts?

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 07:54:14 am »
Are the letters raised or inset?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Elliott D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 08:51:41 am »
The letters are inset. There are no letters on the back of the fragments, which would make sense if the fragments came from a tabula or bronze plaque. That is, it's my understanding that diplomas featured writing on both sides. So in a sense, these fragments most likely are authentic pieces of a bronze tabula/plaque as opposed to being pieces from a diploma. Thank you!

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 04:58:30 pm »
What is the profile of the grooves?  They look rounded.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Elliott D

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 06:13:38 pm »
That's a good question. Here is a close-up shot. It's tough to tell whether they are rounded - thoughts? And thank you!

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 07:53:19 am »
I have two bronze fragments with text that are not military diplomas but part of larger inscriptions.

I will try to get some close-up photos on the weekend.

My gut is that they are very different, but it has been ages since I really looked at them.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity