Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need ID help on Follis?  (Read 903 times)

gwestcot

Need ID help on Follis?
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
This coin has a maximum diameter of 29 mm and weighs 12.9 grams. It has a large X over an M on the reverse and the obverse has almost completely been eaten away by BD. There are letters in the right and left field on the reverse and I can only make out a XDP(D=Delta) on the right field. I looked through Helvetica's byzantine spreadsheets but could not find a match.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Need ID help on Follis?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 06:24:12 am »
Terrible condition, but a scarce coin: Justin II, SBCV 394 from Carthage.

Bill R.

gwestcot

Re: Need ID help on Follis?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
Thank You for the help. Ya I bought the lot for some of the other coins and this was part of the coins I couldn't identify before purchase. I got a year 8 Maurice Tiberius follis with the U III mark in the right field(Theoupolis), a Justinian I follis(Theoupolis), and one of those Christ of Kings coins from Basil II and Constantine VII co reign. This just kind of came with the two lots of 4 coins that I purchased.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity