Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! Support This Discussion, NumisWiki, And The Fake Coin Reports With Your Purchase!!! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! If You Plan To Look Later, The Sale Will Be Over When You "Get Around To It" Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What can this be?  (Read 350 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
What can this be?
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:27 pm »
I know it's in a sorry state, whatever it is, but it's the first coin (?) I've ever unearthed myself, so I'd really like to know at least what denomination it is. It's 25.8 mm long at its widest and was found in northern Spain by me and my little girls. Thank you whoever can point me in the right direction!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: What can this be?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:53:05 pm »
looks like spanish coins of the 15th and 16th centuries.  maybe other european nation.

PtolemAE

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Re: What can this be?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:41:20 pm »
Thank you. Yes, I was thinking maybe a maravedi or billon blanca, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it any further, and not knowing much about medieval coins, I was hoping someone could get me nearer.

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity