Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark  (Read 116 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« on: February 07, 2024, 02:35:31 pm »
I received this today and wanted to share it. These symbols were used during Constans lifetime on some of the Phoenix and Galley types but are not recorded after his death. I think this mark is supposed to be a retrograde Z, making this Ric VIII Siscia 352/361, but the Z seems to have been re-engraved with the symbol 4 mark.
For more info on these symbols see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93305.25

Offline agord

• Consul
Re: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 05:28:59 pm »
 I would like to clarify that I think that it was the die that was re-engraved, not the coin tooled. The only way to prove that would be by finding a die match coin.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 06:25:11 pm »
I have had quite a few re-engraved examples.

The B in the reverse field at first looks retrograde; but looking closer it seems engraved over... like S over EI in an attempt to change it to BI.

In the reverse legend of the second coin, it looks like the engraver made an error and then re-engraved it-- the first S of CAESARIS has something under it.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity