Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Otacilia Sestertius - patina  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Otacilia Sestertius - patina
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:14:31 am »
I am quite happy to get this  coin:

Otacilia Severa AE sestertius.
Obverse: MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed draped bust right.
ReversePVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated left, hand raised to face, holding scepter, SC in exergue.

RIC 209a, Cohen 55.

It is very common. However, the authors of Cohen (Feuardent brothers) note that an example of
this type with a beautiful mblue patina was sold in Paris public auction  in 1885 for 350 FF.

As for my example, it has a strange bicolor patina.  I wonder wether  it is repatinated or not.   

virtvsprobi

Re: Otacilia Sestertius - patina
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:01:41 am »
Today Cohen is Rollin' in his grave. The Feauardents (and M. Rollin) were Cohen's publishers. They may have appended the later editions, but this still doesn't make them "Authors of Cohen". Sorry Numerianus, I have to stand up for ol' Henry. ;D

As for multicolor patination, this does happen naturally and this piece does not look as though it had been artificially "enhanced".

G/<

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:01:03 am »
"Dans le Cohen, les auteurs (Feauardents freres) signalaient en 1885
qu'un sesterce d'Otacilia Severa de ce type, avec une magnifique
patine bleue, avait ete adjuge 350 francs d'or a Paris, dans une vente
publique"
    Les Monnaies Romaines. Laurent  Schmitt, Michel Prieur.
    Edition Les Cheveau-legers, 2004, p. 444. 

Any comments?  ;D

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:46 am »
Schmitt and Prieur are wrong.
First, Cohen died in 1880, so only actually prepared vol. 1 of his second edition.  However, the second edition was just a rearrangement, with corrections and additions, of the first edition.  Cohen continued to be regarded and specified as its author.  Every title page says "par Henry Cohen", "by Henry Cohen".  Rollin and Feuardent, in vol. 2, the first volume they edited, refer to themselves as éditeurs, editors, not as authors.
Second, the note on the 350 franc price attained by a sest. of Otacilia Severa is not an addition to the text by Rollin and Feuardent, but is already present in the first edition publ. in 1860, no. 59, note 1.  Cohen there specifies that the sale occurred in 1856; this date was omitted in the second edition.
Curtis Clay

virtvsprobi

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 03:31:51 pm »
I've never seen the book by Schmitt & Prieur, but I have Cohen on my shelves, and was slightly surprised to see his authorship usurped.

Cheers,

G/<

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:45:11 pm »
Curtis, thanks  a lot. To be honest, I was also a bit surprised by the  sentence
in Schmitt  and Prieur and was waiting for your comment.  It is quite  interesting
that the date was omitting in the second edition. So, one should dig deeper.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity