Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Difficult Ptolemy AE18  (Read 164 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Difficult Ptolemy AE18
« on: January 04, 2024, 12:29:48 pm »
I’m sorry this is such a poor image.  The coin’s not much better in the hand!
Ptolemy AE18
Obv: Head of Aphrodite right, wearing tainia?
Rev: Open-wing eagle left [Π]T[OΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ]     [BAΣI]ΛE[ΩΣ]  However, I’m not sure of the legend.
I can’t place this coin.  I’m focusing on the obverse trying to match this with weight.
Help please!
6.4gr, 16.9-18.3mm and axis 12hr
Thanks

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Difficult Ptolemy AE18
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 04:50:22 pm »
I’m sorry this is such a poor image.  The coin’s not much better in the hand!
Ptolemy AE18
Obv: Head of Aphrodite right, wearing tainia?
Rev: Open-wing eagle left [Π]T[OΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ]     [BAΣI]ΛE[ΩΣ]  However, I’m not sure of the legend.
I can’t place this coin.  I’m focusing on the obverse trying to match this with weight.
Help please!
6.4gr, 16.9-18.3mm and axis 12hr
Thanks

Looks to be a specimen of Svoronos 1237, 2nd C. BC, Alexandria mint. The obverse would depict Demeter with corn-wreath headdress (often described as an image of Isis, but seems
if so then Isis is missing her 'Isiac' crown and oddly has Demeter's corn-wreath headdress).

Similar in general appearance to Svoronos 1233, 1234, and 1235 but smaller and, as it is not known from hoards, hard to associate with other types as one denomination in a 'Series'.
For the 2nd-1st C. Ptolemaic bronzes issued at Alexandria the value scheme is completely different from the previous century, with oddly high decimal values and even small coins like this maybe valued about 25 or 30 'drachma'. There's a hint how that system worked from the Cleopatra bronzes marked with values of Pi and M (80 and 40 'drachma') at about
17 and 8.5 grams (marked, but nevertheless with weight ~ value). A halfway decent description of this and the related weight standards is now on the updated coin series/photos page of

ptolemybronze.com

PtolemAE

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 03:44:35 am »
Thanks so much for your information.
I'll try to improve on the picture!

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:51:50 am »