Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Cast Basil II Solidus?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Fake Cast Basil II Solidus?
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:09 pm »
Here is the next candidate in my collection that makes me nervous. 

This coin is also very soft, but not nearly as bad as the Romanus III.  The images and letters are not well-defined at the base.  The high resolution scan shows that the surface looks pitted with a lot of small holes.  I look at the high resolution scan and I tell myself "This cannot be real."  But this coin looks a lot like the following sample at Wildwinds:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb1806.html

I bought this coin from an online dealer who has a permanent online presence and who guarantees the authenticity of all the coins he sells. 

Is this one real?  Thanks again for the continuing education . . .

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Re: Fake Cast Basil II Solidus?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:45 pm »
As I read the information about the auction, it does not appear this coin was sold.  (click on the photo to get the auction information).

While these are not my specialty, the appearance of the coin leaves me in doubt about whether it is authentic.  There are others with a lot more experience that I have who can say... Curtis Clay is one that comes to mind.  Dr. Ilya Prokopov is another.

I will say, that if I had the money, I would not buy this coin.  The softness and the pitting (remember gold does not corrode) leads me to believe that it is a fake, or at least an unofficial strike.

Hope this helps.
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:34 pm »
As I read the information about the auction, it does not appear this coin was sold.  (click on the photo to get the auction information).

Rick, just to clarify -- I did not buy this coin at an online auction.  I bought it directly from a dealer who has his own website. 

Offline Alexios

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:52:57 pm »
I vote for fake,
as with no bigger scans i cant see well the surface. I am surprised that you have so much fake coins in your collection. I dont want to imagine how much money you have spend for that one!

Remember the golden rule: If you have 1% doubth that the coin may be fake - DONT BUY IT!!!!
Regards
ALEX
+A.E.XW.T.FW.P.B.R.S.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:07:12 am »
I vote for fake,
as with no bigger scans i cant see well the surface. I am surprised that you have so much fake coins in your collection. I dont want to imagine how much money you have spend for that one!

Alexios, I have only shown you two coins -- and you are already surprised that I have so many fakes?  Buckle your seatbelt -- I am just getting started.  I suspect we will find more -- and hopefully I will find a genuine coin sooner or later.^^ 

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:47:39 am »
Don't buy a coin with no sharp detail unless you know exactly what you're doing! You're not the first to come here with a collection of fakes, but it always makes me feel bad to see it.

In my case there is no need to shed any tears -- yet.  I previously bought two fakes on eBay that I recognized as fakes as soon as I saw them in person (I will post those later after I get through some of these questionable coins).  In both cases I immediately raised the issue with the sellers and they refunded my money without any protest.  Today I received an email from the seller who sold me the Romanus III and he agreed to refund my money -- even though 10 months have passed since I purchased the coin.  He sells a lot of coins.  I did not see his name or user ID in any of the fake reports or after searching this site, which leads me to believe that he is honest and does not knowingly and intentionally sell fakes.  I am confident that the seller of the Basil II will honor the authenticity guarantee if I make a strong case that the coin is a cast.  But do do that I will need some stronger opinions condemning the coin.  So far the condemnations have been a little soft.  If you think it is a fake, please mince no words!  Robert Benchley, should I interpret your response as a concurring opinion that this particular coin is a counterfeit?

If there is one lesson I have already learned, it is this:  If you buy a fake, don't panic.   Don't always assume that someone intentionally cheated you.   Don't assume that your money is lost.   Don't go making accusations and huling insults at the seller.    Don't get angry.   Don't despair.   Keep good records and save emails.   Treat people with respect and give them the benefit of the doubt and there is a good chance you can get your money back.  So far I am batting 1.000. 

So far the lessons I have learned have not cost me anything other than a little anxiety -- followed by relief -- which is why I can still be a bit lighthearted about it all. 

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:49:32 am »
Seller said he would refund my money if David Sear says it is a counterfeit.  I think I will take this opportunity to send all of the questionable pieces (and even some that come from reliable dealers) to Sear.  I promise to come back here and share all the news -- no matter how bad it may be -- when the results come back in a few weeks. 

Meanwhile, I will keep learning.     

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:47 pm »
I sent the coin off to David Sear, and his opinion is that the coin is genuine. 

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:11:27 pm »
That is good news.
I guess one lesson here is that if a coin is posted in the fake section, the suggestivity of that title alone can make people approach the coins with predetermined ideas. 
But sometimes the coins also need to be looked at in person, as commenting on pictures is never going to be easy and occasionally people will get it wrong.

Offline pax

• Praetorian
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:59:09 am »
Congrats Obryzum,

Greetz, Mike.
Amsterdam has it !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity