Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Xmas Athens New Style: Dioscuri 123/2 BC  (Read 1228 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Xmas Athens New Style: Dioscuri 123/2 BC
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:02:22 am »
Here for you viewing pleasure is (New) Thompson issue 42 "Dioscuri" my 15th New Style.

This Athenian New Style tetradrachm dates from 123/2 BC and has some really interesting features.

The first 2 magistrates are MIKION & EURYKLEI. Mikion is MIKION V according to Habicht and was the first magistrate on an earlier New Style "Nike driving quadriga" where the symbol commemorates his feat of winning the event at the panathenaic games just like his grandfather. An excellent example is in my gallery.

Here he is paired with his brother EURYKLEI V ( also according to Habicht), with the very appropiate symbol DIOSCURI, the later Roman Castor & Pollox.
The 3rd magistrate BOYKATTES is the only magistrate for  :Greek_Delta: the 4th Athenian month and is unknown otherwise.
Euryklei features as first magistrate on his own on (New) Thompson issues 58 & 60  both "Winged Tyche & amphora" issues that are seperated by a "no symbol" issue. This is the only time where the exact same symbol is used on 2 issues.
Mikion & Euryklei are both descendants from a famous Athenian family from Cephisia who's ancestor finally removed the Macedonians from Pireas in 229 BC.

The issue itself is an extensively produced issue with 10 out of 13 possible months represented, ( no  :Greek_Lambda:, :Greek_Mu: or  :Greek_Nu:), each month having a new 3rd magistrate.
This coin itself is a typical of its type being well worn ( but a better than normal specimen particularly on the reverse), and is commonly found on e-bay along with the closely connected type "Eagle on fulmen".

This is because they are often dug up in hoards from the Balkans particularly the lands that comprised ancient Thrace and Macedonia, therfore modern SW Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia and round-abouts.
These hoards can often comprise of New Styles only or mixed with Thassos Dionysus/Herekles imitative tetradrachms. The New styles often are all closely connected in times and often consist of a large percentage of 4 definite types of New Styles. This "over-representation "of the 4 types, New Thompson issues 39 to 42, "Eagle on thunderbolt", "Tripod", "Prow of ship" and Dioscuri" was first noted by De Callatay ( " Athenian New Style tetradrachms in Macedonian hoards" AJN 2nd series 1992), and has been confirmed as a feature since. Other features are that the coins are well worn and when with Thasos imitatives show that they were buried some 30 - 40 years after they were minted.

Why the Macedonians had these particular types from the mid to late 120's BC in such numbers
no body knows. It has been posited that they are local imitatives. This is unlikely because why would the locals need to change the controls, month dates or magistrates- that is a lot of expensive unnecessary fuss.
It was always noted that the 4 "over-represented" types were not in the original Thompson order, but Mattingley in 1997  ( "review of LGPN 2"  NC 157 ),and Andrew Meadows ("Thasos/New Style Hoard" 1996 in Coin Hoards 9 2009), have proposed a new ordering that brought them into sequence and displaced other types.
This is possible because a new obverse die link was noted between the "Cicada" issue with an "Eagle on thunderbolt" issue linking them. and the fact there are no die links between the 4 "over-represented" issues themselves but the next 2 latest types, "Nike" and "3 Graces" are connected by a die link only so they could be displaced from the old Thompson order.
Sadly,so far, there is no die link between "Cicada" and earlier types like " Conucopaea and grain stalk".
However stylistically the obverse of the "Dioscuri" type is least like the other 3 types to me but the obverse is typical: mine is a very well conceived reverse with a big-eyed  flat headed owl, well cut and clear, uncrowded lettering and clear uncrowded symbol.  Check also my " Tripod" type in my gallery: gallery link here :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3338

Except for the well -worn obverse almost certainly made from a well worn die it is an excellent coin presently 16.23 g ( quite an acceptable weight), on a good size but somewhat tapering oblongish flan,sadly stripped by the finders.

Enjoy,

Cicerokid

Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Xmas Athens New Style: Dioscuri 123/2 BC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:30 am »
nice!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity