Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A fake, but what of ?  (Read 827 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
A fake, but what of ?
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:51:45 pm »
I bought this brass copy / fake from a friend in England (I sometimes deliberately buy fakes which appeal to me).
Before I put it into the Fakes Gallery here, does anyone know what it is a fake of ? (Or what on earth the reverse is supposed to depict It's all a little confused)
32.5 mm, brass
Obv: DIVI IVLI, bare-headed bust of Gaius Julius Caesar right, lituus behind head
Rev: (below) ..VA :GreeK_Sigma: (?), a confused scene, possibly with a deity seated right, on the left, holding out his hand, small person on the right, facing left; what looks like a lion rampant on the left and - crikey - I don't know - an upside down Xmas tree on the right. (I don't even know which way up this reverse should be, as no angle seems to show a clear illustration of anything  ??? If you rotate it 90° anticlockwise, it looks like Herakles swinging the lion around by the tail.. ;D

Any ideas, anyone ?

basemetal

Re: A fake, but what of ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:10:48 pm »
Hi.
I never ID coins here, but I can say that the reverse looks like a double strike or an overstrike.  Odd for a fake.
Bruce
Basemetal

All coins are guaranteed for eternity