Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 islamic coins  (Read 283 times)

Offline Pawel O

• Consul
2 islamic coins
« on: June 26, 2023, 03:16:14 pm »
Hi
I have got 2 islamic coins and I'm not sure about identyfication of them.
1st of them, as I think, is an annonymous Abbasid AE fals from Halab (Aleppo) and second maybe something from Spain (Zayyanid dynasty?).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: 2 islamic coins
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 03:51:49 pm »
Hello Pawel O,
First coin, we have twice the same side, I think. First picture to turn 180°   ;).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 04:21:27 pm »
The first coin might be rather an Umayyad copper fals. Within the circle:"Muhammad rasul allah", Mohammed is the messenger of God. The legend around the circle should mention the mint. We 'll see.

bakkar

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 05:41:33 pm »
The first coin is Umayyad ,mint of al Jazeera,no date.
the second is Ayyubid dirham of al Kamil Muhammad mint of Dimashq.
H.Bakkar

Offline Pawel O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 11:05:10 am »
Thank you all for help. I will have a long path to learn how to recognise them :)
Missing picture of first coin

Offline Pawel O

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 11:31:36 am »
Found similar or same to the first one, is the inscription correct?

Abbasid Governors, Mesopotamia: al-‘Abbas b. Muhammad (750-760 AD) AE Fals, al-Jazira (Album-304; Lavoix-1568)

Obv: Within circle, لا إله إلا الله وحده (There is no God but Allah alone); in margin, أمر الأمير ألعباس بن محمد اعز الله نصره (Ordered by the amir al-‘Abbas bin Muhammad, may his victories be the glory of Allah)

Rev: Within circle, محمد رسول الله (Muhammad is the apostle of Allah); pellet above first line; in margin, بسم الله ضرب هذا الفلس بالجزيرة (In the name of Allah was struck this fals of al-Jazira)

bakkar

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 11:32:29 am »
Yes exactly, Abbasid , not Umayyad.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity