Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander the Greats mortal remains...found?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Alexander the Greats mortal remains...found?
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:16:08 am »
No, this has nothing to do with the recent reports tat his tomb has been found in Alexandria. ;) A Greek historical researcher claims Alexander's remains were found in the 1980s in the excavations of the Macedonian Royal Tombs at Vergina, and that the cremated remains which have variously been labelled as Philip II and II are in fact Alexander:
http://www.tdpapazois.gr/english/meleti.htm
He makes a credible argument, though I would'nt go so far as to believe it.
                                                                    LordBest. 8)

Miguel Diaz

Re: Alexander the Greats mortal remains...found?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:47:44 am »
No, this has nothing to do with the recent reports tat his tomb has been found in Alexandria. ;) A Greek historical researcher claims Alexander's remains were found in the 1980s in the excavations of the Macedonian Royal Tombs at Vergina, and that the cremated remains which have variously been labelled as Philip II and II are in fact Alexander:
                                                                    LordBest. 8)

Very interesant. Thanks you.

Bill Perry

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 11:52:45 am »
This seems more of an effort to start with a desired result (I found Alexander) and then arranging the data in a way that supports this theory. I'm always suspecting research that starts with an answer and works backwards to prove it. Not to say that sometimes this works - but the evidence here can easily be twisted into a number of conclusions - and that the most "exciting" one is arrived at makes me not believe it. His hunting painting theories, specifically his belief that there were no longer wild animals in Macedonia and that kings of the period would not have foreigners in attendance on a hunt - or that the artists would not take literary license based on their personal experience (a persian artistan asked to paint a hunt scene of the king). Instead out of many possible explanations he concludes that this is a painting of Alexander.

But in the end, the telling point for me is it takes to many twists and conjecture to arrive at the conclusion this is Alexanders tomb. Personally, the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid) would indicate that Alexander's army would have insisted on participating in his funeral rights. That his cremation would be a rather large and thorough affair - and that his final wishes would be complied with as they were apparently widely know. Its more likely they knew the danger of Alexanders tomb being looted - for talismans if not for loot - would be irresistable. I suspect that his tomb was in secret and more than likely was found and looted in his recent time due to his fame.

But then my opinions here are just those - unfortunately the facts used to support this theory - though most interesting - amounts to about the same thing - an opinion. If many unlikely things must come together to make a theory make sense - then its probably not a good theory.

Thanks for bringing this article up though LordBest it was most interesting.

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 12:59:19 pm »
I don't agree with the conclusions Mr. Papazois proposes, however...anything is possible.

The KISS theory works nine times out of ten ususally. lol

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:08:03 pm »
It sounds like the sort of thing academics just love arguing over. Just imagine having the divine Alexander in you museum! Or his skull on your mantlepiece, for that matter. I well remember the fuss when they thought they'd found Philip II's tomb; the skull and a reconstruction of the head were on display in Manchester. It really was the most incredibly lopsided skull I've ever seen.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

basemetal

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:40:59 pm »
Alexander's burial site has been therorized as being in so many places. Back in Macedonia, where he died and the one I find most interesting, at the Siwa oasis.
Did the greeks of that time cremate or bury?  I think I've read accounts of both practices.
If buried, logic suggests that it would not have been awfully far from where he died.
If cremated, his remains could have traveled a long way before final interrment.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 10:13:55 pm »
I have to admit my personal opinion is that it is most likely Philip II or III. One of his key points is that the cremated remains show signs of dry cremation, which was recorded for Alexander but not for anyone else. Unfortunately I do not have the primary sources required to check up on his historical accuracy. Did Pyrrhus really scatter Philip IIs remains? Are the histories dealing with Alexanders burial beyond Ptolemys half-inching of the corpse really lost?
                                                                   LordBest. 8)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:32:26 pm »
Unfortunately none of the links on that page work for me.  But I was under the impression that Alexander had been embalmed and was on display in Alexandria, at least until Septimius Severus visited and ordered the tomb sealed?

Steve

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:50:38 am »
If he was embalmed, then final disposal of the corpse could have happened anywhere. Remember Nelson, brought back from Trafalgar in a barrel of rum, which was allegedly drunk by the ships' crew.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:17:08 am »
Yes, but if Alexander's corpse was still in Alexandria in the late 190s as reported by Cassius Dio  it is hard to imagine a political situation in the succeeding centuries that would see his remains repatriated and given anything other than a Christian burial.

"Thence he sailed to Upper Egypt, passing up the Nile, and viewed the whole country with some few exceptions; for instance, he was unable to pass the frontier of Ethiopia because of a pestilence. He inquired into everything, including things that were very carefully hidden; for he was the kind of person to leave nothing, either human or divine, uninvestigated. Accordingly, he took away from practically all the sanctuaries all the books that he could find containing any secret lore, and he locked up the tomb of Alexander; this was in order that no one in future should either view Alexander's body or read what was written in the above-mentioned books. So much, then, for what Severus was doing."
(Book 76, Ch 13)
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_Dio/76*.html

Danegeld

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:21:39 am »
                                                                    LordBest. 8)
Fascinating reading, thank you for posting it.  Robert_Brenchley, I've seen the lopsided skull of Philip and agree it's a stretch.  Probably hard to get inside a helm, LOL...

Take Care
Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity