Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Isfiya Hoard question  (Read 54 times)

Offline Yoel S

• Legionary
Isfiya Hoard question
« on: January 25, 2024, 06:05:47 am »
I have recently purchased a CY162 Tyrian half-shekel from Incitatus Coins (picture at https://images.vcoins.com/product_image/79/T/Tnp7eP5rwzB9y6TE8ZdsKd4o2njQSH.jpg; nice guy, would definitely recommend!), and I'm starting to do a bit of research into it. The seller was unsure of its provenance, but told me he bought it several years ago from a dealer in France.

PHOENICIA, Tyre AR silver half shekel, 19mm, 7.0g. Tyre, or Jerusalem (as per Meshorer), dated CY 162 (36-37 CE). Laureate head of Melkart right, lion skin around neck. Reverse - Eagle standing left on prow; palm frond in background; to left, PΞB (date) above club; to right, KP above XX; Phoenician A between legs. DCA-Tyre 385 (same dies as illustration, also a die match for Triton XXV, #6161); RPC I 4695; HGC 10, 358; DCA 922.

According to DCA-Tyre Rel. 2, it looks like it might be a die match for Israel Antiquities Authority, ISF-IAA 9036.

I corresponded with Dr. C. Meir of the KNP, and she sent me her article about the half-shekels they have. Two of them (#243 and #247) also seem to be die matches. I've also corresponded with Dr. D. Ariel, who told me to contact Dr. R. Kool to see the ISF-IAA 9036 coin. Next time I'm in Jerusalem, I plan to do that.

Does anyone know what happened to the Isfiya hoard? I have a feeling, based on these three die matches, that my coin might have come from it.

From what I've read, there were ~4500 coins, of which:
- 300 went to KNP
- 158 went to the Maritime Museum in Haifa
- > 800 went to the Israel Government Medals and Coins Corporation (what did they do with so many?)
- 64 went to the Kibbutz Hanita Museum
- 81 went to the Hecht Museum
- 727 remain in the IAA collection (are these the ISF-IAA?)
- 88 were sold by Better
That leaves >2000 coins unaccounted for. Were they dispersed on the open market?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity