Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: celtic coin?  (Read 1304 times)

bunne

celtic coin?
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »
Hi,

This is my very first post on this forum so if thanks for the effort you guys take to help me for determine this coin.

I found this half coin in the neighbourhood where celtic people have been living (eastern part of belgium), I found a roman coin too in this area so could be roman also.

Material = silver

Diameter = 15mm

Thickness inner side = very thin (like a sharp knife  (dont bother reading the text, its dutch ;-)
Thickness outer side = almost 1.5mm thick

The two red half circles i drawed are kinda pits, so i think its maybe a cross  :circleplus:

I am not sure, but i think i can see an "O, G or C" and after that i think an "i"

the weight of the half(!) coin is approximately 2 grams

the back side is not very helpfull, still a black spot i need to clean (I think there is a little sleef at that place)

thanks very much for the efforts

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: celtic coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:54 am »
I don't think you can tell anything from the picture, except that it's probably half an ancient coin.
I can't even read some of the text, let alone see the things that I'm supposed to see.
Can you post big, clear pictures of both sides, without the painted text and arrows?

Andreas
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity