Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about the Weise collection?  (Read 81 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Anyone know anything about the Weise collection?
« on: April 28, 2024, 10:31:24 am »
One of the big US auction houses has been auctioning off the Weise collection for what looks like a couple months now, and many of the coins are very high condition, many are very rare, etc. lots of Roman imperial, some Hellenistic, etc.

In the specialty areas I collect, it has included coins I’ve never seen before, some uniques not in ric or the big museum collections, etc.

I had not heard of this collection before but based on what is posted in the sales it looks to have mostly been put together in the 2000-2005 timeframe.

The size and quality of it would have cost a king’s ransom to build in just 5 years with prices at that time.

Anyone know who Weise is or was? Was he/she a member here?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Anyone know anything about the Weise collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 02:03:12 pm »
Well ouch. Just bid on 11 more Weise coins and lost all 11.  All were ric “raredenarii or unique denarii of septimius severus.

Cheapest one went for $500 pls 20%, taxes and shipping.

This is not a cheap hobby!

I did pick up an amazing Pupienus ant I am keen to receive and photograph at the same auction though. Also very not cheap :(
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity