Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elagabalus - Quadriga Denarius Question Raised as to Authenticity  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
One of the highly respected members on this Forum has concerns over this coin and wondering what your thoughts are,I just got this at an auction its not in hand yet but the auction source is a reliable one and regularly sells ancients and antiquities in London.Before I make a decision as to whether I should rescind this purchase looking to see what you think.

219 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG legend with laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: TR P II P P legend around, COS II in exergue, emperor driving quadriga left, holding branch and eagle-tipped sceptre. RIC 175; RSC 285; BMC 306; Sear 7552. 4.65 grams.

This what Curtis has to say on this one

Consulting my casts just strengthened my opinion that this coin is not from the official Eastern mint, and is probably a modern forgery. It seems to imitate the genuine denarii of this type, but in cruder style, and the flan is too irregular and too heavy.

I think you could bring the matter up on Forvm. You may quote what I have said about the coin, if you wish.

I did find some other Denarii from the Antioch mint where they weighed around 4.25g

Thoughts Adrian

This is a big of a jpg I can currently get sorry.

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Elagabalus - Quadriga Denarius Question Raised as to Authenticity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »
I think if Curtis has opined there is no need for any further opinions.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
That was generally my thought but never hurts to have a 2nd opinion just to be 100% sure

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »
That was generally my thought but never hurts to have a 2nd opinion just to be 100% sure

In my opinion, I would not want a coin that has an authenticity question hanging over it, even a little doubt would make me want to return it.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »
Thanks I looked this up as you did as initially I just looked here and saw nothing on Forum if you look at the coin on forgery network I think its an exact match on both sides though mine is a lighter one.
I sent this info to the auction house hopefully they will cancel the purchase.

Thanks Curtis for catching this

Adrian

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »
Adrian - I think I own a real one and it's quite a rare coin if so.  I've had some correspondence with Curtis on it some time ago and I even lifted his opinion in a Gemini auction on another specimen where he felt at the time that there were only about 6 total know.  Mine is 2.67g and much different style, like Curtis pointed out.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity