Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What exactly is this fake Trajan?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Doug H

• Praetorian
What exactly is this fake Trajan?
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
Being fairly new to this hobby, I'm interested to know exactly what is going on with this coin. I'm assuming that it is a "fake in progress". It is 32mm and presumably meant to be a Sestertius. However, it only has one side. As you can see from the photo, the reverse is completely blank. Does that mean that the reverse would have been made separately with the two halves being stuck together (it seems rather thin for a coin of this size). Athough there is dirt between the lettering, I'm guessing it is not old because scratching the surface reveals shiny metal underneath.

I'd be grateful for any light that anyone can shed on this, to help me understand a bit more about fakes so I know what to look out for.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: What exactly is this fake Trajan?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:09:42 am »
This does not look like a counterfeit to me, but a very worn example of an ancient.  The back is not completely blank and looks like it might have had a wreath at one time.  I think when you are scratch the surface, you are most likely scratching through the patina to the underlying metal.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
I think it is cast.  Perhaps it was not meant to be a fake coin but only a one-sided replica.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Doug H

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:40:28 pm »
Thank-you both for your replies.

Howard, I think the possible worn wreath is just a trick of the light on the photo. I can't see any hint of worn features on the reverse. It doesn't look worn at all! I'd be very surprised (though pleased) if this is genuine. Indeed it was sold to me as an "interesting fake". Having said that it was also sold to me as a Nerva, so the vendor was clearly no expert!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity