Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post #18: Please help identify catalogue number for Alexander III AR Drachm  (Read 503 times)

Tyler W

This coin weighs 3.4 grams. It would be most appreciated if someone could identify this type of Alexander Drachm.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The forepart of pegasos stands usually for the mint of Lampsakos. But in Price I don't find a variant with the letters under the throne like on the coin here.

Either it is a variant not listet in Price or perhaps an engraving error of Price 1385: http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.1385

Regards

Altamura

Tyler W

Thanks for the identification. Since you spotted it as Lampsakos I was able to find the exact type with the monogram pictured as Price 1393.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
You are right, it is a pi rho monogram. I saw it as iota alpha or so, that's why I didn't find it  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity