Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carthage follis of Constans II or Constantine IV?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Carthage follis of Constans II or Constantine IV?
« on: January 14, 2024, 08:52:57 pm »
Hello everyone. I know this board has grown quiet in recent weeks, but I wonder if anyone might have some ideas about this coin from Carthage. It seems to me it must be a coin of either Constans II or Constantinve IV. It's about 18mm. Very thick.

I am not aware of any issues with four figures like this. One side appears to have legends, and the crowns on the emperors have semi-circles. The other side has no legends, and the emperors are both holding a globus cruciger and have simple crosses for the crowns.

The big X looks overstruck, but that seems to be the only feature overstruck.

Any thoughts?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Carthage follis of Constans II or Constantine IV?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 11:22:54 pm »
So it looks like this is Sear 1062, the half follis with Constans II and Constantine IV on the obverse, and Heraclius and Tiberius on the reverse.  There should be an XX in the exergue on the reverse. The XX is not visible, but it is easy to visualize where the exergue should start.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity