Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thought I bought Carinus but ended up with Numerian.  (Read 668 times)

Offline Panathas

• Consul
Thought I bought Carinus but ended up with Numerian.
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
  A couple of weeks ago, I bought three coins. Since the dealer had a sale, I thought it was a good idea to buy a budget emperor not in my collection. The description mentioned Carinus. Well  to say the truth, I was happy with my Nerva denarius and Licinius follie purchases, that I did not look at this coin closely. Basically it was a last second budget buy.
 Today, I took the coin out to photograph it. On the coin flip it writes Carinus Billon Antoninianus RIC 322v. As I looked at the coin closely I made out IANVS. After adding better lighting I read NVMAERIANVS. After some quick research, I found that it is the CLEMENTIA dot TEMP type from Cyzicus.
 I just wanted to share my morning surprise. One question though, if I might ask: Does anyone know why the Cyzicus mint uses NVMAERIANVS instead of NVMERIANVS?

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Thought I bought Carinus but ended up with Numerian.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:04 am »
Panathas,

Just browsing through RIC.

Apparently this spelling shows up only on Numerian as Caesar coins.

It can appear on coins of Antioch as well as Cyzicus.

I thought this was RIC Vb 379 but now I see yours has a different reverse.

Regards,
mz

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:49 am »

I have found a link for you here on the forum that discusses this coin and have put it up so you can read it as it has great information from forum members
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=59267.0

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
Helen,

Nice pull!

mz

Offline Panathas

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »

I have found a link for you here on the forum that discusses this coin and have put it up so you can read it as it has great information from forum members
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=59267.0

Thank you very much for the link. I looked at it and learned much. It is interesting to see that this type was produced at Officina A, S and possibly Γ of Cyzicus.

Offline Panathas

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »
Panathas,

Just browsing through RIC.

Apparently this spelling shows up only on Numerian as Caesar coins.

It can appear on coins of Antioch as well as Cyzicus.

I thought this was RIC Vb 379 but now I see yours has a different reverse.

Regards,
mz

Thanks for your reply Mark Z. I lokked at Wildwinds and found the RIC 372 example officina S at Cyzicus. The discussion link provided by Helen S, is very informaitve on the type.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity