Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is there a benefit to a black or white background?  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Is there a benefit to a black or white background?
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:52:03 pm »
Is there a benefit to using either a black or white background when photographing coins? Is it personal preference or does it make post processing easier when post processing is necessary? I am partial to a black background, I like the luminous effect of the coin on black (and it goes with my website better, LOL).
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

peterpil19

Re: Is there a benefit to a black or white background?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:42:40 pm »
Hi,

Have a look at this topic: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=27956.0

If you want to use a non-lighted background, then I'd probably go for black. White in my experience reflects too much making photography difficult. Any other colours, will be reflected in the surface of any silver coins you are photographing.

Peter

bruce61813

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:42:30 pm »
Beside the visual quality of the final image, there is a technical aspect to using black, white, or neutral gray backgrounds. Scanners and digital cameras have a limited dynamic range from pure white to pure black ["pure" in this sense means there is no detail at all]. So if you have a silver coin and try it on a black background, you will probably exceed the range scale, so the system starts making compromises and you may get a black background, but a mushy gray coin. However, if you put the same coin on a while background, the dynamic range from black to white is reduced, and there is some allowance to correct the true color of the coin. The background may be changed, but that can be repaired. You can always "cut & paste" the coin onto a different background that will enhance it visually, and still have a good looking coin.

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/22400.php , this "brown" background was black, but when I adjusted the entire image to correct the coin to it's true image, the background lighten to the brown you see, I left this alone as it goes well with the coin.

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/22398.php this was a dark green coin on a white background, I will eventually change the picture out, as I really don't care for the result, it is too harsh and contrasty.

Bruce

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:25:09 pm »
I shoot on black velvet, makes it easier for me just to put it on black and thats a good thing because I prefer it to others backgrounds...mainly because the edge shadows blend smooth and I dont have to be completely exact when cutting the coin out of the velvet background from the original shot.

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 02:36:39 pm »
I find that shooting on a back-lit white-light source works best. Then digitally altering the image to display a black backgroung makes viewing easier on the eyes.
Just my humble opinion.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 12:58:23 am »
I used to do all black, using black velvet as a background, but now I do all white, using a translucent plastic box lined with white paper and then taking out the light grey background with the Photoshop paint bucket.  I get better quality photos almost every time, but there are still some shots of bronzes that work better against black. 

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

ras

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:10 am »
from a technical standpoint there should be no difference in the way the coin photographs under a black or white background. if the coin does photograph differently (particularly if it photographs better under black) it is because your camera's exposure area is too wide. this tends to darken the coin as the camera, which has no idea of course what it's "seeing", will try to expose the entire frame rather than the subject.

from the aesthetics point of view i tend to agree that a black background adds a certain visual drama and can make a beautiful coin that much prettier. however, use of white is much more prevalent because the image lends itself readily to print. a coin with a black background which will be printed must first have the black taken out digitally. this often looks odd and adds a lot of time to the processing of the image (unless the print medium is on black paper - which would look really cool!)

ras

All coins are guaranteed for eternity