Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celator subscription issues???  (Read 19756 times)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Re: Celator subscription issues???
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08:23 am »
Thank you, Andrew for that index!

I didn't realize Marvin wrote for Coin World.  That in itself is enough to get me to subscribe.

One of my all time favorite books is "Monumental Coins" by Marvin Tameanko.  :)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:30 pm »
I too renewed my subscription just as the publication ceased.  After a year, there is probably little hope that it will restart.  It is alas yet another victim of the digital age. 

pogh-poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 12:45:27 am »
I spoke with Kerry at length while at the CICF a couple of weeks ago.  We all know about his divorce and the time and resources it took for him to deal with that.  What he didn't tell people, and gave me permission to tell, is that he has suffered two mini-strokes in the past couple of months.  He had gotten back to working on publishing again when his first stroke struck.  He has been dealing with some pretty serious medical issues, obviously.  He did tell me that he will be back to the magazine as soon as his health permits and there should be a new one in our mailbox by early summer, at the latest.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 04:10:01 am »
I spoke with Kerry at length while at the CICF a couple of weeks ago.  We all know about his divorce and the time and resources it took for him to deal with that.  What he didn't tell people, and gave me permission to tell, is that he has suffered two mini-strokes in the past couple of months.  He had gotten back to working on publishing again when his first stroke struck.  He has been dealing with some pretty serious medical issues, obviously.  He did tell me that he will be back to the magazine as soon as his health permits and there should be a new one in our mailbox by early summer, at the latest.

Tom

I was really sorry to read this. The reality of a stroke (I know from experience) is that the last thing one needs are deadlines and delivery pressures the moment one "recovers" (I never did recover although it took years of struggling to resume paid employment to work out I'd never make it back). I hope Kerry's friends can persuade him to build an exit plan from the Celator, unless (and its entirely possible) editing the Celator is a therapeutic and enjoyable task. The improvements to my web-site and photo-site in 2009 were a direct result of my adopting html editing and photo editing as post-stroke therapeutic tools. Both activities have the advantage of being able to complete a task in ten minutes (a coin description or book review or an edited photo, or come to think of it, a post on Forvm) and then publish immediately and forget, so I found it oddly relaxing. Once I switched my PC off I never had to worry about deadlines or remembering a partially-completed task. I could just resume where I left off in the morning with my mind blank. Probably the toughest part was coming to terms with lesser abilities, and you need friends to lead you there.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:30 am »
Always look forward to the Celator and I have over a year in subscriptions remaining. 

However I hope Kerry takes the all time he needs to heal and does not worry about the Celator or us.

I will wait as long as it takes for him to get healthy and will support him in whatever decision he makes.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 07:18:37 am »
Poor guy.  A divorce AND two strokes.  Talk about a mid-life crisis.  I can see now why I didn't receive any notification that the subscription would be delayed and I feel bad having expected one.

I hope Kerry is back on his feet soon. 

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »
Oh wow, I too had no idea the extent of Kerry's struggles. He is a great guy, I feel like I know him just from reading his excellent column every month. I will echo the sentiments here, and hope that he will focus on his health and get to us when it is healthy for him. His health and recovery are far more important to me than receiving the Celator any time soon. I've always had the impression that publishing the Celator must be a pretty thankless job, more of a labor of love than it is a profitable venture. Fingers crossed for a healthy Kerry and a revived Celator! 

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2013, 06:51:29 am »
Last communication I had with Kerry (May 9) he mentioned he was hoping to officially resume publications June 1st. Something must have gotten in the way in the meantime, hopefully he's regaining his health little by little and then he can decide a proper follow-up/ending for the publication. I believe Andrew's proposal of a couple of "memento" issues would be great, I would personally forgo the remaining of my subscription (nearly a year) for such a treat.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity