Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What does this Scarab say?  (Read 2309 times)

philo

What does this Scarab say?
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:07:06 am »
Hello everyone,

2 scarabs found their way to me and I have absolutely no clue about ancient artifacts. I'm a collector in general - mostly 1950s and 1960s stuff - but most of the time I stay away from buying objects I don't know anything about. 

The first one is quite small 18x12x7,5mm and has a modern bordering attached which even has a stamp on it - that I can't read as well.  ::)

I found out that the bowl stands for "neb" and the reed for "i/e". I couldn't figure out if the bird is more of peewit or more of hawk with 2 feathers. Then I got totally stuck with the 3 horizontal lines and the crescent at the top. Does this engraving make sense?

It seems to be made out of a kind of hard stone...should I clean it up and get rid of the bordering or can somebody already tell that it's a complete fake just by looking the pictures?

I appreciate any hint, opinion or advice!

Greetings
Phil (not a native English speaker)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: What does this Scarab say?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:38:32 am »
Hi Phil,

From the inscription and the style of the hieroglyphs, I would say its a fake/reproduction; thus the silver mount instead of a gold one.

Russ

philo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:05:52 am »
Hi Russ,

thank you very much! I thought it might be an old one in a new mount.

The other one is much bigger 30.2x20.35x13.3mm. I don't know where to post it, because who knows what kind of language that is supposed to be...the double-lines with the small wings are shown twice but in different directions. The drilling looks very clean. I suspect this is a fake, too, isn't it?

Greetings
Phil

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:16:46 am »
IMHO  yes. Sorry.

philo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:56 am »
Don't be sorry! It would have been a steal.

I payed 1€ for the small one at a house clearance because it looked real old to me.

Thanks a million to both of you for sharing your knowledge and experience +++

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:13:17 am »
Hi Philo,

Yes, the second one is a fake/reproduction also. Who ever carved it, probably saw a Hyksos scarab with cross hatching on the back and copied that design motif.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity