Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake coins?  (Read 270 times)

Offline Wertinas

• Praetorian
Fake coins?
« on: March 26, 2024, 04:09:46 pm »
Seller has multiple offers similar to this, are they modern fakes?
Especially the first row seems very suspicious to me,
what do the experts on the forum say  ;)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Fake coins?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 04:53:15 pm »
Yes many many known fakes flooding the market. Maridvnvm has warned us since 2007 about these forgeries. He even created a die-linkage with many of them. They were even sold in batch of 1000 !
 DT
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=107643.msg658819#msg658819

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:08:59 am »
Many of the fakes above are covered in the die linkage montage. There appear to be a couple of coins that weren't covered in the coins that I saw at the time.
Martin

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 03:25:17 pm »

Hello all: Respectfully, this discussion is a good example of why the one coin per thread rule is a good rule. So, is this entire lot of 36 coins is to be condemned ?  I'll accept that some of these demonstrate the die linkages discussed already, but that doesn't cover nearly all 36 coins. There aren't any Maximian or Galerius coins (can't remember which these five in the top row are) in that study. What does appear to be obverse and reverse die matches on four of those five (and two in the far right column) in the same lot would be of concern but if these obverses and reverses were used together, theoretically those could be legit. Also note that the coins in Martin's work all bear very similar fake patinas, while the patina on these coins is much more diverse and some apprear to have traces of silvering. Finally, it remains hard for me to fathom that people manufacture dies and produce differing flans in substantial quantities to produce fakes of relatively low value billon or bronze coins.         

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 02:36:26 am »
The prices of those Serbian pressed fakes from either modern hand cut dies or heavily recut transfer dies is actaully not that low, I tried to get one huge lot with all but always got outbid and there must have been thousand of these on German ebay.
All from the same limited number of dies but die links between them and sometimes impossible die links.
No authentic coins known form these dies.
Sellers had other very obvious Serbian fakes for sale.
If you see them together it is getting even more obvious that they must be from the same Serbian workshop and in such cases it makes sense to post them together.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 03:47:06 am »
they must be from the same Serbian workshop and in such cases it makes sense to post them together.

I agree. And also these die links are very instructive. So the new rule would be "one Serbian workshop per thread:)
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 07:17:04 am »
The fake seller pax-nero has almost 3000 of them currently for sale at ebay and the last weeks were not much better, it is insane, who buys this trash?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:22:36 am »
The Antoninian he is offering too are transfer die fakes, he is combining the transfer dies and so new impossile die combinations were created and some of these how double strikes or slippages and this individual characteristic from strikeng from the mohter has been copied into the transfer dies, ghost lines sopy and missing details etc.

Some examples, they are polluting ebay.fr and ebay.de since months.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 09:44:21 am »

Hello all: Respectfully, this discussion is a good example of why the one coin per thread rule is a good rule. So, is this entire lot of 36 coins is to be condemned ?  I'll accept that some of these demonstrate the die linkages discussed already, but that doesn't cover nearly all 36 coins. There aren't any Maximian or Galerius coins (can't remember which these five in the top row are) in that study. What does appear to be obverse and reverse die matches on four of those five (and two in the far right column) in the same lot would be of concern but if these obverses and reverses were used together, theoretically those could be legit. Also note that the coins in Martin's work all bear very similar fake patinas, while the patina on these coins is much more diverse and some appear to have traces of silvering. Finally, it remains hard for me to fathom that people manufacture dies and produce differing flans in substantial quantities to produce fakes of relatively low value billon or bronze coins.         

Ideally we have both the group photo to spot similarities, individual discussions, and most importantly in my opinion, a fake coin report for every pair of dies.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 01:20:14 pm »

Thanks for the work and follow-ups guys.  The scale of, and effort folks put into, this kind of trickery is just hard to believe.   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity