Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pentanummium - IUSTINIANUS I  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Pentanummium - IUSTINIANUS I
« on: April 14, 2003, 06:05:35 pm »
It is my opinion that this Pentanummium is of the mint from Rome and attributable to Giustinianus I.

Am I in the correct?

thank

ser

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re:Pentanummium - IUSTINIANUS I
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 06:06:24 pm »
R/

Strauracius

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:19:52 pm »
Rugser: Although not certain about this, the closest attribution I can find is Sb 338, which attributes this coin to Justin I, Ravenna mint.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 07:37:02 pm »
This coin does have a certain charm to it, You did not list the size but if it is around 13mm I believe it is Justinian I Pentanummium listed in Sear as a uncertain mint. S 338 It seems to have a small flan so some things are not as clear, such as the legend and it should have a wreath around the V . Sear  338 BMC pg 53, 52-60 ( Justin I Ravenna)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 07:56:44 pm »
Thank you to all.
Like it is seen I  have photographed on millimetred paper. .the diameter is of mm 11

ser

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 08:22:46 pm »
Sorry , I missed that :-\  At least that confirms the small flan and the missing wreath. Nice photo for such a small coin. :)

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 03:32:03 pm »
Justinus I/Ravenna.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 08:11:49 pm »
Wercing

Pentanummii with V coined from the mint from Rome in the Hostrogotic period also exists
526-534.

I will return on this matter when I will have photographed them all. . they are with star above the V and without.

http://myron.sjsu.edu/romeweb/RCOINS/sub3/contents.htm

ser

All coins are guaranteed for eternity