Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attribution help please  (Read 2348 times)

coinagora

Attribution help please
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:59:03 pm »
Hello I was hoping that somebody may be able to give a VA reference for this quarter stater. Any information to help with attribution would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RVES

Re: Attribution help please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:49:19 am »
I have checked Van Arsdell and there is no record of that type as the book only has details up to the late 1980s it could be a type found after that date. Alternatively as VA contains only British types it could as easily be a continental type.
Do you know what area it comes from?

coinagora

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »
Hello RVES
I was told that it was a Belgae Petersfield Wreath Face type. But wanted more information , I looked through Van Arsdell too and found nothing . In fact I have looked most places such as UKDATABASE  and also Coin Archives. The information given to me was ok generally but I was interested in having more information i.e time period etc . Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the reply.
Michael

RVES

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:58 am »
The nice people at Chris Rudd have told me that the type is a Petersfield Wreath Face listed in the British Museum Catalogue as 568-70 and was struck by the Belgea tribe.
The type is unlisted by both Van Arsdell and Spink

coinagora

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
Hello RVES
Thank you very much for the references - that will help me greatly in finding out a bit more.
Michael

All coins are guaranteed for eternity