Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine or Roman? Box or Ear Ring? Gold ornament?  (Read 1298 times)

Jon the Lecturer

Byzantine or Roman? Box or Ear Ring? Gold ornament?
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'd be very happy if you could help with the below pictures.

That gold ear ring (or whatever it is) was found in a field in Antioch by a villager. I bought it for its scrap gold value. It is 23 karats. It weighs about 6 grams.

You can see that there is a hinge and clip. I am really curios what this thing is. Is is a Byzantine ear ring? Roman? How much something like that would worth? Somebody offered me twice the scrap gold value, I kind of want to sell it (I only collect coins), but I am not sure.

I'd appreciate any help on its origins and value.

Thanks

Jon

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Byzantine or Roman? Box or Ear Ring? Gold ornament?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:55:46 pm »
Hi Jon,

Just some observations and feelings. The filigree work is beautiful and pretty much characteristic of the area in which it was found. Since it is hinged, it probably contained something such as a piece of sponge or cloth, or some aromatic substance. I think it was/is a vinaigrette. Pieces of sponge or cloth were inserted into them then vinegar or perfume was dripped on the the sponge or cloth and the object was used to ward of everything from cholera to foul odors. If I had to date it, I would say somewhere between 500 and 1200 A.D.
     You indicated that it is 23K gold. Whey does it appear white/silver in color or is the color balance of your photos off? What is the size of it? It certainly is a fascinating piece.
Russ

Jon the Lecturer

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:25 am »
Hi Russ,

Thank you for your answer. As you said the filigree work is quite beautiful. Do you have any idea on how to decide in a more precise date? You said between 500 AD and 1200 AD. That makes it Roman I assume, or early Byzantine. I tried and looked on line but I couldn't find anything like it.

As for pictures, yes my camera is horrible that is why thy have the 14K gold color, but we used an touchstone and the acid mixture to be able to assay it, and it turned out to be 23K gold.

I am still curious on how much something like that would sell for.

Thank again,

Jon

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:17 am »
Are you sure it is not a good bit later than that?  It looks a lot like 17th - 19th century Ottoman jewellery. 

I am no expert in that stuff but the style is very similar to what I used to see in the antique shops and museums in Bosnia labelled as that period.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:08 am »
Agree.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity