Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athenian New style Attribution  (Read 1705 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Athenian New style Attribution
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »

Since about April I have been trying to research these very important & beautiful spread flan stephanophoric coins.

Why are they important?

Well most of these coins have magistrates names, albeit either in monogram form, abbreviated form or full form.

Better still they are often found in combinations of 2 magistrates or 3 magistrates so there must be a link between the magistrates.

Also the majority of coins have a symbol and this surely has some signiicance to the chief or first named magistrate.

If you can from other prosopographic means link these names then stemma of family relationships can be made and tested.

Die links can be made to support the closeness of types & issues.

Amphora monthly date marks can indicate with a N an intercalery year.

If a coin can be definitely ascribed a date, the relationships above can be used with stylistic relationships then the sequences can be worked out with some certainty and more dates can then be ascribed.

Now if these can be linked with other datable elements such as Seleucid datable coins and regal ephipet changes then dating can be made more certain.

Just one certain coin in the New style range has the initial criterion: A New Style coin with the first name of Bas Mith, supported by Aristion with a symbol of a star surrounded by 2 crescents.

This is certainly King Mithradates V1 Eupator, Aristion is a well known Archon who was a supporter of the Pontic king and the star and crescents is a well attested Pontic royal symbol.

This must be dated  87/6 BC when Mithradates was supported by Aristion in subourning Athens against Rome.

By assuming yearly issues and adding all the issues that can ascertained to be minted before the Mithradatic issue then a start date can be roughly computed.

Andrew Meadows , once of the BM, now of the ANS, confidently asserted to me that 164/3 is  "rock solid" and there are 78 differing issues before Mithradares and the exact sequencing is getting more and more refined due to die linking.

By similer means the rarer and more sporadic post Sullan issues can be tentatively sequnced until the coins die out in 42BC.

It actually quite difficult to chart the steps of the "New Style" dating story and I am trying to compile a definitive sequenced list, but sources are themselves sporadic and rare and hard to access and obtain.

If you use ,say dealers info, then you will see all sorts of date ranges for the New style and it was this that first disturbed and yet intrigued me. Even if they use say c165-50BC the actual striking date of the coin quoted is not often upto date, so a trawl of the latest published sources is required.

In my unfinished list I have dates garnered from Andrew Meadows ( with Houghton),  The Gaziantiep Hoard 1994, The Thasos/New style hoard 1996, Mattingly 1993, Morkholm 1984, Lewis 1962 and Thompson 1961.

I constantly look for new sources.

Today I have found that my latest New Style which I originally said was issue 14 and 151/0 is now according to Meadows 1996 issue 13 and 152/1.

Everyday's a schoolday

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
Re: Athenian New style Attribution
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:02:17 am »
For what it's worth, this was a great post. Extremely informed and very useful to anyone wanting to delve deeper into these coins. Along these lines, though, I was wondering if you could provide more complete cites for these: Andrew Meadows (with Houghton), The Gaziantiep Hoard 1994, The Thasos/New Style Hoard 1996, Mattingly 1993, Morkholm 1984, Lewis 1962, and Thompson 1961.

I know Mørkholm 1984 ("The Chronology of the New Style Coinage of Athens," Otto Mørkholm, American Numismatic Society Museum Notes, 1984) and Thompson 1961 (The New Style Silver Coinage of Athens, Margaret Thompson, American Numismatic Society, 1961), and I could probably find the others, or may already have them and just don't remember offhand. But if you have a handy list, that would make it easier.

By Mattingly 1993, did you mean Mattingly 1990 ("The Beginning of Athenian New Style Silver Coinage," Harold Mattingly, Numismatic Chronicle, 1990)? Or another reference?
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:27:53 pm »

Ok the complete list I think the mattingly one is correct now:

Thompson, Margaret, The New style silver coinage of Athens ANS 1961

Lewis, D M, The chronology of the athenian New style coinage, NC 1962

Mattingly, H B, Some third magistrates in the Athenian new style silver coinage J hell Stud. 1971

Mattingly H B, some problems in 2nd century Attic prosopography ZAG 1971

Caramessini-Aeconomodes & Kleiner, The Hieraptyna hoard: a supplement, Revue Belge de Numasmatique 1975

Morkholm, Otto The chronology of the new style coinage of Athens ANSMN 29 1984

Baughslaugh, R A, Two unpublished overstrikes: New style athens & Aesillias the Questor
ANSMN 32 1987

de Callatey, F, Athenian New style tetradrachms in Macedonian hoards AJN ( 2nd series) 3-4 1991-1992

Mattingly H B, The Ma' Aret  En - Nu'man hoard 1980  essays in honor of robert carson & Kenneth Jenkins.. Bland et al editor London 1993.

Mattingly, H B, The beginning of Athenian New style coinage   NC 1993

Meadows, Andrew, Thasos / New Style hoard 1996 in Coin Hoards 9 ( on line)

Meadows A, & Houghton, A The Gaziantep hoard 1994 in Coin hoards 10 ( on line)

Lorber, Catherine c, Commerce ( " the Demetrius 1" hoard) 2003 in Coin hoards 10

As you can see it is all in dribs & drabs in obscure journals with often obscure titles, but trying to get a coherent list out of them is a nightmare.

Thompson, had TWO "Winged Tyche with Amphoras" separated by a "No Symbol" era and yet I have never come across an update if this is still true.

She never had a gap for the SLAVE REVOLT at Laurion silver mines, which some say gave rise to a "NO COINAGE" year, of well take your choice c 101 BC, She also said the famous King Mithradates/ Aristion Coinage of 87/86 BC was a one off special and not a regular emmission and didn't thus allow for it , and i believe ther are other anomalies that I have yet to locate.

All in all I have ONE pre- King Mithradates New style too many if I fit them in to Andrew Meadows " Rock Solid" start of 164/3 BC.

I have asked the Greek curator at Cambridge's Fitzwilliam Museum for help.

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
Again, great stuff. Thanks for pulling this together. But your Mattingly 1993 actually is Mattingly 1990. His paper "The Beginning of Athenian New Style Coinage" appeared in Numismatic Chronicle 150 (1990). (It appeared again in Mattingly's 2004 book From Coins to History: Selected Numismatic Studies, published by the University of Michigan Press.)
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity