Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athena Alkidemos vs Athena Promachos  (Read 5881 times)

4to2CentBCphilia

Athena Alkidemos vs Athena Promachos
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
I recently bought a Ptolemy I tet and I have a question about the attribution.

Most of these coins are described as having Athena Alkidemos on the reverse.

My coin has been described as having Athena Promachos on the reverse. The on-line SNG lists these coins using Athena Promachos

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]  (see last 4 coins on this page)

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] (coin similar to mine)

My understanding is that Athena Promachos does not hold her shield, but has it resting against her leg.  My coins Athena looks no different than any other Ptolemy (raised shield)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-40052    (my coin)

Can anyone explain why there would be a difference in attribution or if this is just a preference of the attributor.  

Thanks

Mark

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Re: Athena Alkidemos vs Athena Promachos
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:13:02 am »
Hi,

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I've got a couple of coins that are attributed to Mesembria, Thrace with Athena Alkidemos on the reverse in the same position she is situated on your coin, holding the shield rather than having it leaning.  Here is what I found on Athena Alkidemos:  "Athena Alkidemos, who was worshipped at Pella, 2nd century BC, Pella in Macedonia particularly, the goddess was embraced as Athena Alkidemos - which means power - and is represented in warrior stance, ready to hurl her spear while holding the shield in the other hand."  Hope this helps.  By the way, your coin is beautiful!

Steve

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:52 am »
Hi!

Athena Promachos was the big statue of Phidias on the Akropolis of Athens. She was depicted stg. facing, holding in her r. hand her spear set on ground and with her shield at her l. side.

Why Athena Alkidemos, probably the city-goddess of Pella and seen on your coins, is called Athena Promachos in error, I don't know.

Best regards

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »
Promachos holds a spear and Alkidemos a thunderbolt. That's the easiest way to describe the difference, but there's more to it. I have some sheets of paper on this topic, but not at home. On monday I can give some more details from my reading, if you want.

Best - Frank

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »
Promachos holds a spear and Alkidemos a thunderbolt. That's the easiest way to describe the difference, but there's more to it. I have some sheets of paper on this topic, but not at home. On monday I can give some more details from my reading, if you want.

Best - Frank

Yes, please do.

Your answer however leaves me scratching my head. All these Ptolemies have spears, not thunderbolts. That means all should be identified as Promachos..........................but in reality almost all are identified as Alkidemos.

Right?

BR

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity