Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please Help Big Silver Medieval Coin  (Read 942 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
Please Help Big Silver Medieval Coin
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »
Hi

Diameter: 35.8 - 41.1 mm

Weight : 26.6 g

Thank you for your help

lazooro

Re: Please Help Big Silver Medieval Coin
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:43:04 pm »
Spanish struck in America..cob coins..not good in this but few weeks ago one similar was posted.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:32:58 pm »
Correct. I will add that it is 8 reales, probably struck in Bolivia, and would date to circa 1600-1630
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:26:26 am »
This coin was found in Tunisia not in Bolivia !!  ???

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:44:19 am »
They were minted in South and Central America but travelled all over the world. Few circulated in the Americas compared to the vast quantities which were shipped back to Spain to enrich the royal coffers. The Spanish real was one of the first international currencies and these were esteemed in the Arab world because of the purity of the silver they contain. Many found their way the short distance from Spain to North Africa, both in trade and as the result of seizures by pirates operating from the Barbary coast.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:12:47 pm »
Looking at the cross, I am fairly certain this coin was struck in Mexico City.  There coins always have the balls at the ends of the cross bars.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:15 pm »
Thanks to you all.
Is there a link which shows similar coins?

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:25 am »
It might have been. This is typical of Mexico but not necessarily unique to it. Lacking the Mexico City mintmark, which does appear on many cobs, it is difficult to say for certain. I am willing to bet that the silver in it came from Potosi in Bolivia, either way. In any case, it is definitely Spanish colonial, circa 1600-ish.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:23:54 am »
To me it does seem to have a Mexico City mintmark, to the left of the shield, O above M; the D below the M is the assayer; D is known for Mexico around this time - but not for Bolivia (Potosi)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 02:11:36 pm »
It may be a variant. This is not the typical Mexico City mintmark for the era. Much of the silver came from Potosi regardless of the location of mintage. Regardless, the fact remains that it is a Spanish colonial silver 8 real cob from the New World.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity