Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine (?) gold in jewelry - Emperor identifiable?  (Read 72 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Byzantine (?) gold in jewelry - Emperor identifiable?
« on: February 24, 2024, 08:27:47 pm »
Alas, not possible to be more specific than the two photos of what appears to be a Byzantine gold coin mounted in a ring typical of mens style jewelry. The only inquiry is whether the emperor, time period, etc. can be identified from the inscriptions and what else can be seen here. I can read 'Heracli...' on the obverse (photo from inside the ring) and 'victoria..' on the reverse (facing the top of the ring. A jeweler friend inquired on this one. Maybe a tremissis? Size appears about 20mm, weight not possible to determine in the mounting. Tests as gold, maybe ~ 18K.

I suspect the portrait, reverse design, and visible parts of the inscriptions will be enough for the experts here to ID.

Thanks.

PtolemAE

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Byzantine (?) gold in jewelry - Emperor identifiable?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 12:11:48 am »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=11471q00.jpg&vpar=18&zpg=9136&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins/

Kindest thanks, Joe. Almost certainly the correct match - and at impressive speed. I was on the right track but not an area of ancient coinage that is really familiar to me. Appreciate being able to pass along some helpful info to my friend who encountered the ring. It all seems right.

PtolemAE

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Byzantine (?) gold in jewelry - Emperor identifiable?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 11:06:45 am »
My pleasure and thanks for all the assistance you have provided me with Ptolemaic bronzes over these many years!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity