Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Galba Sestertius  (Read 510 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Galba Sestertius
« on: May 21, 2022, 04:57:11 pm »
Opinions on this Galba Sestertius please one friend of mine who studies coins is of the belief that she has no concerns with regards to its authenticity where as a collector friend has serious questions about its authenticity. So was just hoping for more opinions if ok please guys. Coin weighs 23.4g and measures about 33mm. For what it's worth I found the seller to be very genuine in their belief that the coin was genuine but it was passed doen from a passed relative so provenance is effectively unknown. Have a good weekend.
Stuart

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Galba Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:40:06 pm »
Looks OK to me.
PeteB

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 05:01:50 am »
Morning Pete, thanks for the reply, to my very untrained eye I team of the opinion that the coin is likely genuine aswell but its nice to get affirmation from others with greater knowledge than myself so thanks again :)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:46 am »
One thing is almost 100% sure with this flan crack, not a cast coin !
DT

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 08:39:02 am »
Hahaha afternoon Dom, indeed I appreciate the crack would have put many off but it was priced more than fairly and was a fairly inexpensive way to purchase a coin I'd of not been able to normally :)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 03:43:02 pm »
Looks OK to me apart from the obverse being harshly cleaned.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity