Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BC Fourree ID help  (Read 502 times)

Offline 67aiga7a

• Legionary
BC Fourree ID help
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:58 am »
Hello all,

I recently acquired what seems to me like a holed republican denarius (could be way wrong). I can't make the legend, or find the reverse type so any help is highly appreciated as always. Thank you in advance!

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: BC Fourree ID help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:54:54 am »
It looks like a barbarous fourré imitation that partly distorts a Republican type; try (e. g.) searching "Considia 2" on http://acsearch.info.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline 67aiga7a

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:16:34 pm »
Thakn you for the advice, much appreciated!

I was thinking this, but as the reverse doesn't look like anythin I managed to find thought it could be something else. Could this Greek maybe?

Thanks!

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:28:56 pm »
Well, the curule chair featured on Considia 2 could turn into that structure on your coin, but it's clearly no longer a chair anybody would actually sit on; the stylized and unclear designs on your coin mean that it'd be hard to establish its source-coin or source-coins with certainty.  The legend on your coin is garbled as well, but the characters look more Roman than Greek to me. If the weight of your specimen's not far from 3 grams, that would also suggest a denarius.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline 67aiga7a

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:00 am »
Spot on Archivum! It is 20x18mm and weights 2.96gr.

Thank you for your input :) !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity