Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AS Divus Augustus wrong legend  (Read 500 times)

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
  • I REALLY love this forum!
AS Divus Augustus wrong legend
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:28:05 am »
Hi,
I share this Divus Augustus AE AS issued by Tiberius with an error in the obverse legend, it reports PAVER instead of PATER:

DIVVS AVGVSTVS PAVER, radiated head of Augusts left.

SC, eagle on globe.

I'd like to know if are known other AS of the same type with this error.

thank you all.

---In front of the insigna---

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: AS Divus Augustus wrong legend
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
Something in this coin (style and lettering) telle me: 'probable contemporary immitation'  and if its weight is under 10 gr. , that suspicion would stand firmer ground. Especially under Claudius hundreds of thousands of coins were locally made - some good, some less so. If the die cutter was illiterate, he would not even have noticed his mistake...

Frans

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
  • I REALLY love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:07:40 am »
Something in this coin (style and lettering) telle me: 'probable contemporary immitation'  and if its weight is under 10 gr. , that suspicion would stand firmer ground. Especially under Claudius hundreds of thousands of coins were locally made - some good, some less so. If the die cutter was illiterate, he would not even have noticed his mistake...

Frans

Hi Frans,
At the begin, as soon as I saw it, I thought to an ancient imitation but then I wasn't so sure.  The weight is 8 grams, but it doens't differ from the weight of two other DIVUS AUGUSTUS I have: 7.4 grams and 8.6 the other.
However It seems to have something on "provincial".
---In front of the insigna---

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:56:22 am »
I agree with Frans - it looks irregular, especially the lettering.
A nice find.

Regards,

Adrianus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity