Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »
Hello all,
I have this Nabataean coin that was attributed to Aretas IV.

I'm hoping to have a confirmation of that info and, as this is my first Nabataean coin, get a reference as there seem to be many similar. Also anyone know a more precise date than 9bc - 40ad?

Thanks!

Josh

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:36 pm »
So the reason for my above question is that there seem to be several reference numbers for coins that I can't see to feel the difference between. Wildwinds for example lists:

Meshorer 112
Meshorer 113
Meshorer 114

And... I'm guessing the same variations but in a different catalog:

SNGANS 1438
SNGANS 1440
SNGANS 1442

The descriptions don't let onto the differences between the types on the site and I don't have access to the references. A correct reference number would be nice but I'm more curious about how to distinguish them. Any info would be great! Thank you!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:24:59 am »
Dear Josh!

The difference between no. 112, 113 and 114 is the depiction on the obv.

I have attached the relevant part of the page in Meshorer's work.

I think no. 114 can be excluded because I can't see any V-shaped ornaments on the heads.
No. 112 has the inscription above the heads fully written-out in 3 letters.
No. 113 has the inscription above the heads as monogram #9 in 2 letters (Meshorer's monograms attached too!)
I tend to no. 112, but I'm not sure.

The date of 9/40 AD seems to be a typo. It is actually 39/40 AD.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity