Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing  (Read 760 times)

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:15:50 pm »
Hi! I'm getting closer to the end of cleaning my first coin. My coin is a Julia Mamaea bronze coin from Nicaea during the reign of Severus Alexander. The spelling on my coin is IOVLIAMAMAIAAVG and it is a bust of her facing to the right. While the back has 3 wreathes on top of 3 solid dots in the middle and beneath the dots are NI-KA-IE-I(?)N. How exactly would I term the coin, for example one of the first roman republic coins on the shop is called "RP97564. Bronze AE 18, RPC I 1648 (11 spec.); AMNG III, p. 192, 12 & pl. XX, 13; Grant FITA 274; SNG Cop -; BMC Macedonia... (the rest is just describing the coin which I already mostly understand). How would I reference my own coin myself like that?
Second of all, is there a special type of wax/polish that I can use to polish my bronze (maybe even potential silver) coin that anyone would recommend?
Thank you for reading this and if you need a picture of the coin (with my horrendous cleaning skills) feel free to ask and any other questions about my hilariously uneducated coin knowledge question!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: 2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 01:48:20 am »

Sounds like RPC VI 3149: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/3149

Pekka K

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 08:20:23 am »
Polishing: numismatists use Renaissance Wax, known in the trade as Renwax. It's available in two sizes. I ordered the smaller, and I will never use it all.
See the discussion here.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 09:37:57 pm »
Sorry for the late response! Thank you both of you for the information, I will definitely be buying some Renaissance on my future coins. I may or may not have scratched the heck out of my first coin thinking I was scrapping at dirt, but in reality was scrapping at bronze. Will the Renaissance wax cover up my scratches or should I chemically remove the patina. I only ask that because I saw a post recently of someone who chemically removed their patina as a last resort due to how corroded it was, and it was given some good praise! I understand anything involving the removal of the patina is seen as a cardinal sin here so I'm just wondering if that is a viable option.

Also, while the RPC VI 3149 reverse is the same exact design as my coin, the obverse has slight variations such as instead of NI-K-AI-E   :Greek_Omega: N mine is NI-KA-IE-IN. Does that significantly matter or is it safe to call my coin the RPC VI 3149 (I don't plan on selling at all).

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 08:51:17 am »
FORVM sells Renaissance wax here.

It will do nothing to help with or hide scratches.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity