Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantion, Thrace, Cow l. on dolphin/Trident between two dolphins  (Read 376 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
2.10 grams
14 mm diameter

Obverse has an animal standing /walking left on a line. The head is a bit off-flan but I think I see the goatee and horns of a goat.
Coin-in-hand, two or three letters are visible above. Looks like the first one is a B.

The reverse seems to have a + with a small o in one of the angles, so my best guess is that it's a four-spoked wheel with Greek letters in the angles. It's definitely parted into four segments.

If I'm wrong about the goat, then this coin really looks like those cow-standing-left-on-dolphin / incuse windmill sail pattern coins from Byzantium, except it's clearly copper.

Maybe it's an old fourrée with all the silver gone?

Two images of obv, one with 5% extra brightness and contrast

Four images of rev, same pic rotated 90, 180 and 270 degrees.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Re: Greek AE14 - Animal(goat?) standing/walking left
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:12:11 pm »
Aha, finally nailed this one!

Thank you FORVM for, amongst many things, being an awesomely searchable database of information!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=00785z00.jpg&vpar=581&zpg=618&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins/

"Bronze AE 15, SNG BM 49 - 50, SGCV I 1591, aF, Byzantion (Istanbul, Turkey) mint, weight 3.7g, maximum diameter 15.2mm, die axis 0o, Mid 4th - 3rd century B.C.; obverse cow standing left on dolphin left, BY above (the first letter is an archaic form of "B" used at Byzantium); reverse trident between two dolphins;"

I even read the B correctly in my first post and noticed that it looked like the Byzantion issues. I'm getting better at this!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity