Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AI sees the word "purple"  (Read 243 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
AI sees the word "purple"
« on: October 13, 2023, 09:48:14 am »
Luke Farritor, a 21-year-old computer-science student from University of Nebraska–Lincoln is the first to read something in a carbonized scroll from Herculaneum.
He developed a machine-learning algorithm that has detected Greek letters on several lines of the rolled-up papyrus, including πορϕυρας (porphyras), meaning ‘purple’.

Hopefully this is the start of our ability to read the carbonized library at last.

See-

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03212-1

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: AI sees the word "purple"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 09:57:06 am »
Hi gall,

This is interesting.

In addition to enjoying the hobby of ancient numismatics, I am also interested in computer programming. My website is evidence of this. Of course, the computer code in my website in all hand-written. I am not using Word Press or anything like that. I am coding it from scratch.

I find the merging of ancient numismatics (and other things from antiquity) with computer programming to be fascinating. This merger offer almost limitless possibilities. It also bridges the gap between the ancient past and the future.

Meepzorp

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 03:26:33 pm »
I am quite stupid. Why do you need AI to read the word πορϕυρας?

Jochen

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 03:53:27 pm »
Recently, I watched a DVD documentary on the Dead Sea Scrolls. In one segment of the documentary, carbonized scrolls were being read with new scanning and software technology. This documentary was produced a few years ago.

I believe this link is to a related online video.
https://ca.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/nvdssd-sci-xraytech/using-x-ray-technology-to-read-the-unreadable-dead-sea-scroll-detectives/

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 04:14:09 pm »
I am quite stupid. Why do you need AI to read the word πορϕυρας?

From the article:

"Farritor used subtle, small-scale differences in surface texture to train his neural network and highlight the ink."

so I think this the output of the neural net - the highlighted version - not the input.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity