Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coinage of Julius Caesar - on-line Worth a look  (Read 1482 times)

4to2CentBCphilia

Coinage of Julius Caesar - on-line Worth a look
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:50 pm »
I don"t know if anyone has stumbled across this website, but it is a wonderful diversion and very informative.......and well organized.

It gives a great overview of the coinage of Julius Caesar through his life (and afterwards.) It was put on-line by Macquarie University in Australia (I never heard of it) but they did a nice job. I learned quite a bit.

http://www.humanities.mq.edu.au/acans/caesar/Home.htm

Enjoy

Mark

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Coinage of Julius Caesar - on-line Worth a look
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the link.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Coinage of Julius Caesar - on-line Worth a look
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:44:54 am »
I don"t know if anyone has stumbled across this website, but it is a wonderful diversion and very informative.......and well organized.

It gives a great overview of the coinage of Julius Caesar through his life (and afterwards.) It was put on-line by Macquarie University in Australia (I never heard of it) but they did a nice job. I learned quite a bit.

http://www.humanities.mq.edu.au/acans/caesar/Home.htm

Enjoy

Mark

Really great, thanks for pointing it out.

This is the right time to mention that there is still no satisfactory agreed version of the coinage of 44 BC. Crawford's arrangement seems to have lots of flaws; some of those published in the 1950s may be better. There's no consensus as to how much of the coinage was produced before the Ides of March. CAEASAR DICT QVART certainly was, but we don't know what else. I suspect the next path of study has to be economics - who had the need for the coinage that year? Was it really required by Julius Caesar or might much of it have been used to pay his last testament promises? What military requirements were then at what times of the year? Who would have had an incentive to issue such coinage? The coinage itself only can tell so much without looking into the financial background.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity