Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is it real at all?--Driantilla?  (Read 6855 times)

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
Re: Is it real at all?--Driantilla?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 12:51:13 pm »
Yes, from the byzantine/greek term. Yes is unusually. Well, just because somebody like curtisclay is saying, I'll think more at this coin. But come back with my own opinion. Thank you!

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
Re: Is it real at all?--Driantilla?
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2007, 09:56:55 pm »
I know nothing about this era of coinage, but just a few words for thought about overstruck coins.  There exist at least 5 examples of coins from the Bar Kokhba revolt of the jews aganist rome in which the "silver" jewish  coins were overstruck on Fourees. 
David Hendin recently publish an article in the last INJ in which he records a test strick of a silver "sela" on a bronze planchet.  It is clearly a test strike because the bronze test planchet is a square peice of scrap bronze.  It has been hypothesised by some that  Silver Shekels of Tyre exist that are made of bronze and that they were test strikes.
Ronn

All coins are guaranteed for eternity