Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Details of Campgates  (Read 1427 times)

Douglas

Details of Campgates
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:11:13 am »
The coin I am currently working is a Constantine II campgate, RIC VII Thessalonica 157. (As far as I can tell so far). The exergue on mine is SMTSdelta from what I see right now. I look up examples on Wildwinds and other places to double check my attribution when I can. The question I have is about the stylistics of the campgate itself. Mine has dots in the top row of blocks, and a base on the bottom. None of the other examples of this issue that I've found have this. How common are differences like this in campgates? When do differences like this become significant? When I finish this coin I'll post a picture, but it just struck me as I was working on this.

Arles

Re:Details of Campgates
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:48:40 am »
There is a lot of variation in the style of campgates,I`d say while it may not always be significant,at times it can hold clues to things if you can discern patterns in what you are seeing. I have been trying to collect every variety I can find in Arles campgates and noticed one thing about the style of the campgate reverses. In all the earlier series at Arles, P*AR,PA_RL, S/F/PARL, and S/F ARLP, all the campgates are plain and undecorated,whether PROVIDENTIAE or VIRTVS. The next series, S/F PCONST, suddenly has coins with both the plain reverse and with decorated gates, sometimes simply a row of dots, sometimes fancier and more elaborate decorations. In the final series, T/F PCONST, all of the gates are decorated, I`ve never seen one that wasn`t. I don`t know how significant it is, but in the S/F PCONST series this almost certainly means that the plain gates are from the earlier part of the production of this series, and the decorated ones were made towards the end of the series. Just something I found interesting.
Keith

Arles

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:50:42 am »
Here is RIC 319 from early in the series.

Arles

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 02:53:37 am »
Here is the same coin from later in the production run.

Offline cscoppa

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 07:25:26 am »
Here is an example of Thess RIC 157 that I cleaned. It too has the dots and base you are speaking about.
Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 09:53:12 am »
That is definitely it, Chip.  Not exactly, but very close. Once I get some of this crust off of the head I can see how close the bust is to yours. Interesting to see the changes in design.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Details of Campgates
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:33:12 pm »
Needless to say, this series is big plate for any collector.  I've chosen to complete a mint type set and am having fun with it.  Maybe that is your cup of tea.  Some try other ways, different row levels is an example. Just have fun with the hunt.  If you EVER come across a Crispus example from Constantinople BUY IT.  You have a very sought out coin!
Good Luck,
Flavius Vincento

All coins are guaranteed for eternity