Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FRENCH ROMAN COIN HOARD  (Read 2926 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: FRENCH ROMAN COIN HOARD
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:58:54 am »
Thanks for the link/story.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:14:31 am »
So what usually happens to large hoards like this?  Will any of the coins make it on the market?

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:40 am »
I love seeing stories like this.

Thanks for the translated link!

mz

MidWestGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »
So what usually happens to large hoards like this?  Will any of the coins make it on the market?

That's my question too.  What happens to the coins next?  Will a certain percentage make it to the market and will a certain percentage make it to U.S. sellers?  Does the country or certain museums get dibs on the best coins?

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:10 am »
A video from a TV channel about the discovery is on youtube (in French)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xPUNBi8MXQ

There are negocations ongoing for the sharing of the hoard between finders (of the disseminated 250 coins in the corn field), land owner and Fr. State (archeologists found the rest of the hoard in these amphoras).

Jérôme

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:00 am »
It would be nice to think that some of those coins would come on the market one day.

But more important by far, I think, is the hope that this large hoard of what appear to be late Tetrarchic, or just post-Tetrarchic, nummi is published. 

I think that another study, like Jelocnik's works on the roughly contemporary hoards from Istria and Western Slovenia that were published decades ago, is more than due today.

I love how the initial picture shows not only a GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, but a nice MARTI type.  The latter looks like it has one of the longer, rarer legends too.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity