Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Posthumous Alexander III tetradrachm  (Read 529 times)

David S10

Posthumous Alexander III tetradrachm
« on: September 17, 2023, 08:41:20 am »
Hi folks,

Would anyone be able to identify the Price number for this Alexander III posthumous tetradrachm? I can't quite pin it down.

The left monogram is partly off-flan, but the right character is an M.

Under the throne is what looks like a spearhead, I was guessing Kolophon, but I can't find any similar tets from there.

Width:  26mm
Weight: 16.5g

Thank you in advance
Dave

David S10

Re: Posthumous Alexander III tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 08:44:05 am »
Sorry, I seem to have navigated from the ID section, I would delete this post if I could (I've put another up in the ID section).
Dave

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 02:01:47 am »
It is OK, I put Greek coins for ID here as well sometimes. If a moderator wants to move it they will. No big deal. Sometimes I find it better to put them here.

Welcome,
Virgil

David S10

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 11:17:46 pm »
Might any one have an idea on this one? It has me totally puzzled.

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 02:32:12 am »
After a quick search at PELLA (http://numismatics.org/pella/results) I didn't find anything like this  :-\.

The style of the Herakles is a bit different, perhaps it could be an ancient imitation.

Regards

Altamura

David S10

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 04:09:01 am »
Thank you, I hadn't really considered that. I have run through hundreds (perhaps thousands? I've spent a few hours searching) listings in Pella (http://numismatics.org/pella/results).

I didn't see any exact matches for the obverse, but to my very inexperienced eye it didn't stand out as unusual, and the depiction of Zeus looks normal to me as well. But I'm not very experienced with these. My inexperienced eyes would have said the obverse was similar (not identical) to Price 21, and similar issues.

Possibly its not a spear head, perhaps an amphora?

Dave

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 09:45:33 pm »
The index of symbols in Price (vol. 2, p. 565) do not show any coins with spearheads under the throne. In fact, Price does not list any tetradrachms with spearheads on them. You mention Kolophon: That mint did not produce any tetradrachms (Price, vol. 1, p. 247 ff); and the drachms minted there had the spearheads mostly in the right field.

As for the letter M in the left field: Price's index (vol. 2, p. 599) shows too many to double-check. But since there are no spearheads listed on any tetradrachms, checking all the coins with M in the left field would likely turn up nothing.

It is possible that what looks like a spearhead could be another object.

Also, there are many coins of Alexander the Great that are not listed in Price.

David S10

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 11:09:58 pm »
Thank you Callimachus; that was about the result of my review in Pella too :)  Just too little to go on with, hence why I have reached out here to the experts!

Is there much consensus that this may be an imitation?

regards
Dave

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 12:20:37 am »

Is there much consensus that this may be an imitation?

Not from me.
You look through the plates in Vol. 2 of Price and there are many that look more barbaric than this one. If anything, regional differences might be at play here. The lettering on the reverse looks fairy standard too.

David S10

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 06:44:35 pm »
Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity