Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting fancy follis forgery of Theodora (?) (Theophilus' wife)  (Read 151 times)

Offline Potrokles

• Praetorian
Welcome,
I have recently acquired an interesting imitation of a follis (theodra I believe). I am writing here mainly to search for information on this type of fancy forgery. The coin is of course pure fantasy, no such issues are known for any empress. From what I was told by the seller, the coin probably comes from Georgia. Have you come across such a curiosity?
31 mm / 12. 9 g

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Interesting fancy follis forgery of Theodora (?) (Theophilus' wife)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 10:47:29 pm »
It is an odd curiosity that departs from the depictions of Theodora on the gold. The crown is quite different. The face is quite different -- especially the eyebrows. And it is odd that she is holding the patriarchal cross with the left hand and pointing with the left finger.

Offline Potrokles

• Praetorian
Re: Interesting fancy follis forgery of Theodora (?) (Theophilus' wife)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 02:37:40 am »
Not only is it bizarre, the reverse with Mary applying the empress's crown is unparalleled anywhere else, but it looks as if the forger is trying to allude to the religious motifs appearing on the coins of Michael and Theodora. I would like to establish the age of this forgery, it probably is (it is contemporary, but the patina is quite thick) and its purpose. The style of the portrait is reminiscent of coins from the Islamic Anatolian period, but we know of no type with a Latin legen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity