Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severina Ant  (Read 1010 times)

NervousRex

Severina Ant
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:37:08 pm »
SEVERINAEAVG obverse.CONCORDIAEMILITVM reverse with VIXXI in ex.i finished cleaning this coin today.i cant find one with VIXXI in ex.any help is most welcome.thanks Robert.

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Re: Severina Ant
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:30:28 pm »
What did you use to clean this coin?
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

NervousRex

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:49:31 pm »
hi.i soaked the coin in DW for around 6 weeks brushing daily with a nylon brush.today i soaked it in lemon juice for around 20 mins rincing and brushing every few mins.lastly a gentle brush wihh a brass brush.the roughness of the coin was like that before using the lemon juice.the only preclean pic i have is the sellers pic.top left coin.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:38 pm »
Well, I can tell that the seller's image was made in sunlight, and I can see that it has been made a little lighter for posting (consider shadows cast by sunlight to lower left of coins), and I know that his sunlight images are a bit more cyan than my own photos of his coins, but how you got your iron-oxide colored images, unless you were using film camera with outdoor film in it under an incandescent light-bulb source, I am at a loss to see how you got that image.
By using Photoshop's Image>Adjustments>Variations tool, and assuming that the background was fairly neutral, I got it to where you see, but even so I think it's not at all like a Severina antoninianus.  If you provide some more info, perhaps I could help.  I mean, the goal when one is asking about coins is to post, if one possibly can, is an image that looks like the coin in hand.
Pat L.
I apologize for writing 'Salonina' for 'Severina': I was only looking at the colors!
P.S. You didn't use flash, did you?
I attach a flatbed scanner image, unaltered, of her husband Aurelian.  Though it's the reddest coin I own, especially the obverse, it's not as red as your image of Severina.

NervousRex

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:08:43 pm »
hi Pat.the pics were taken with a Nikon coolpix 2200 digi camera under a table lamp with flash turned off.i have not yet seen the coin in sunlight,i will post more pics later if it is a nice sunny day.it measures 21-22 mm.
Robert

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:02 pm »
Aha!  Now that I know it's a Nikon, I know which term they use.  Look in your Manual's index and find White Balance.  Follow the instructions to set it using either a sheet of white paper under the camera or else a neutral gray card (Photography shops sell them).  Once the camera is set that way, you should be able to save it as "1" or "2", the default setting being automatic, which is daylight.  With digital cameras you don't need to worry about what kind of film, but you do have to make the setting for the particular light set-up that you use for coin photography.  If you had a flurorescent desk lamp or one of the kind designed for easing the eyes while reading, such as are advertized in the TLS (in England) or as Ott-Lite or the like in the USA, you will find the White Balance much easier to set.  Otherwise, daylight (such as that seller uses) is better than an old-fashioned light bulb for illumination.
Pat L.
P.S. That is a very nice Severina, but I don't know about all those Aurelian mint marks; lots of guys do.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity