Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Lead Seal with Hippocampus from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 166 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Roman Lead Seal with Hippocampus from Caesarea Maritima
« on: July 06, 2023, 10:19:45 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a poorly preserved lead seal with a beautiful Hippocampus and I am not sure what else.  I almost gave up on it, literally about to toss it in the trash, as the face just seemed to have nothing but illegible remnants of inscription (see before photo). After carefully removing some grains of sand and encrustation, I soaked it in clear mineral oil for a few minutes to even out the color of the patina.  Suddenly the figure of the hippocampus jumped out at me!  There seems to be something above it, and also some kind of image on the reverse, but I can not decipher anything.  Any ideas, corrections, or references would be appreciated.  I have seen some tesserae with similar images, but so far only one seal, from the site of the Arbeia South Shields' Roman Fort, with very little information about it (see photo below).  Thanks, as always, Jimi

BCC LSR30
Roman Lead Seal
Caesarea Maritima
1st-4th Century CE
Obv: Roughly rectangular, thick lead
seal with Hippocampus to left.  Uncertain
design, possibly wings?, above.
Rev: Uncertain design, or blank.
Pb18.5 x 13 x 6mm.  5.07gm. Axis:0?
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
(click for larger pics)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity