Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Parthian drachm, Aria  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
Parthian drachm, Aria
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:42 pm »
Hi,
I looked a lot (Sellwood, Shore, parthia.com, ...), but I find this drachm nowhere.

The closest is the S.45.28 (Orodes II, Aria)
The monogram and the style of letters (exactly the same that on the drachm S.48.28 of parthia.com, picture 2, below) indicate that the mint is Aria.

Could it be an unpublished coin?
Thanks.

tkmallon

Re: Parthian drachm, Aria
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »
Very cool and interesting coin.

'A' as a mintmark doesn't necessarily represent 'Aria' -- it could, of course, but I can't ever remember seeing any evidence that it does (and there is no shortage of 'A's on Parthian coins).  It's not clear if these types are even official Parthian issues (could be contemporaneous or even later, local imitations).  See Senior ISCH type 201 et seq. for other Orodes II imitations. 

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:45:08 am »
Certes, il n'y a pas de certitude absolue concernant le lieu d'émission des drachmes parthes, malgré des monogrammes bien distincts, il y a seulement certaines probabilités.
Ce que je trouve vraiment intéressant avec cette drachme c'est le médaillon qui remplace la torque, alors qu'aucune monnaie d'Orodes II, à ma connaissance, ne présente cette caractéristique.
On trouve en revanche ce médaillon sur certaines drachmes de Phraates III (S.36-6/7, S.35).
Je n'ai pas la possibilité de consulter le "Senior ISCH". Existe-t-il dans cet ouvrage une drachme d'Orodes II avec un médaillon ? Merci beaucoup d'y jeter un coup d'oeil.

Indeed, there is no absolute certainty concerning the mints of the parthian drachms, in spite of very different monograms, there are only some probability.
What is really interesting with this drachm is the medallion which replaces the torque, while no coin of Orodes II, to my knowledge, present this characteristic. We find on the other hand this medallion on few drachms of Phraates III (S.36-6/7, S.35).
I have no possibility of consulting the "Senior ISCH". Is there in this book a drachm of Orodes II with a medallion? Thank you very much to glance at it.

tkmallon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:36 pm »
Dear Alwin:

I have no possibility of consulting the "Senior ISCH". Is there in this book a drachm of Orodes II with a medallion?

No, Orodes II imitations -- but not with medallions.  A few can be seen here:

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/par_rel/par_rel.html

I can't ever remember seeing this type of Orodes II drachm with a medallion (official or otherwise).  Bent-bar 'A's in the legend on a drachm are also pretty unusual.  You start seeing them frequently on tets of the mid 1st century CE.  Your coin could be an imitation from that period.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »
Just a suggestion, but could the coin have been tooled to create the medallion from a torc?

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:24:20 am »

Thank you Thomas.

Just a suggestion, but could the coin have been tooled to create the medallion from a torc?
The drachm in hands I can't believe that...

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:06:49 am »

Thank you Thomas.

The drachm in hands I can't believe that...

Alwin, it was just a suggestion.  Since I don't have the drachm in hand, I can't really say, but since you say it is not, I believe you.  I am sorry if my suggestion caused any distress.

Howard

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »
Howard, no distress !  :) and thank you for your suggestion, all the possibilities must be considered.

Offline gent0622

• Auxiliary
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:00 am »
I have a similar coin (with medallion - so no tooling on yours I guess). The difference is that on my coin you can clearly distinguish a crescent behind the head, so I consider it a Sell.46.24 variety, struck in Aria for Orodes II.

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »
Thank you very much Gent0622, I send you an email.

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:34:10 pm »
Having seen Gent0622's drachm, I realized that there was a crescent, although difficult to see, behind the bust of my coin. So, it is indeed a variant of the S.46.24 and not of the S.45.28.
And the description of Sellwood corresponds well: " bust facing, head only turned left ".
The only difference, important, is the medallion, present on Gent's coin and on mine!
This drachm could be in the right place on "parthia.com", but I can't join anybody (???)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity