Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible RIC  (Read 701 times)

Zsigmond

Possible RIC
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »
First of all, I'd like to say hello to all of you as I'm new here! A coin fan myself, I adore the "art" of numismatics.

After this short introduction, let us cut to the chase. The reason I'm here is actually a funny story; I found this coin a long time ago trapped inside of a rock. It was a sunny, summer day and I was hiking near a cliff where I picked up a peculiar looking rock. Examining it, I couldn't figure out what was so special about it, but it was one of those flat pieces that kids would throw at the river and watch them bounce of the surface of the water. So I inadvertently tossed it in that fashion and as it bounced of the hard surface it made a metal-kind of noise, as you would assume, a coin would make if it hit the ground. Thus I picked it up again and brought it home where I extracted and cleaned the coin. To my surprise, it was actually in a very good state considering it had been trapped inside of calcium carbonate for a long time. I would go as far as to say I'm probably the first owner of this coin in about two millenniums, and I imagine the last one was some roman peasant, because I live in a country that was formerly part of the Roman Empire. Here is where my story ends and ours begins. I want to find out what coin this really is.

I didn't come unprepared and without doing my own research first, but I want to be sure I am correct. What I've got so far on this coin is that it's a sestertius (maybe even a DACIA, assuming that that's a letter D under the S), probably made during the reign of Antoninus Pius. Best guess is that on the back there is Aequitas or Moneta standing right (as I think she's holding a scale in her right hand). All I can make out of the lettering on the front is SAVG. The bare head should belong to Antoninus Pius, but whilst on other coins he is seen sporting a beard, on this coin it's hard to tell if the beard was damaged or was never there. We can also see him wearing a civic crown. That's about it...

The picture was scanned and I hope a keen eye has enough details to really put a date on this coin. Thank you for your time!

Zsigmond

Re: Possible RIC
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:55:55 pm »
I don't see the edit button, but I forgot to add that at this time I'm not able to provide anyone with the exact diameter of the coin (approx. 25mm). Also, I cannot measure the weight of it, but it should be irrelevant to what I am asking you to help me with :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »
If a sestertius, diameter should be c. 30 not 25 mm, and it will be this coin:

ANTONINVS AVG - PIVS P P TR P COS III, head laureate r.

IMPERATOR II S - C, Fides standing r., holding two wheat ears downwards and a plate of fruit before her face.

Struck at Rome, 143-4 AD, RIC 716a.
Curtis Clay

Zsigmond

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »
Oh, I see. It's Fides. I was beginning to think maybe it was Annona. The diameter is surely 30mm, my mistake. I thank you for your help, this is definitely the coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity