Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ...after much work.....  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
...after much work.....
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »
I thought to share one of my uncleaned coins (now cleaned) which gave me the absolute most trouble; but with some reward.  It was once 3-4 times as thick with pure mineralization and not just dirt.  This is what became of it- not perfect, but when ANY details at all began to show I was excited to continue.

For any 'newbees' that might read this and are begining with some uncleaned coins, perhaps it could be a humbling of expectations, or perhaps it could be hope for things to come.  For me it's just a bit sentimental now;)

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
Re: ...after much work.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:20 pm »
This is encouraging to see. I've got a similar coin with some serious mineralization going on right now, but every couple of days I go at it for a bit and more and more detail on the obverse especially is coming out.  At first it was just a face, but now I'm getting up into where hair should be and I'm constantly surprised... I might be dealing with one of Rome's leading ladies, as there appears to be some sort of bun hairstyle... anyways, I'm glad to see progress elsewhere.   +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:37:05 am »
Congratulations on persevering with a super-crusty coin.  At least it is now completely identifiable.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback!  I've been using Wildwinds to attribute most of my earlier purchases and it's been a lot of fun.

Eva just a heads-up that I foolishly overlooked at first using Wildwinds:

-click to view thumbnails (pictures) or it looks like a mess to newcomers

-do a screen search with anything you discover on the coin, for example:  ___MAM___  or possibly you see 'scales'

Good luck with the ID.;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity