Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Denarius help  (Read 818 times)

Offline Evgeny F

• Legionary
Trajan Denarius help
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:15:46 pm »
Hello, I new to this forum, and I am looking for help!  I recently won an auction at ********* for a Trajan Denarius(RIC 127).  I have since learned that it is not the most trustworthy auction house, and the pristine quality of the coin is making me suspicious of its authenticity.  I compared the coin with other examples on numismatics.org and wildwinds.com, and was unable to find a reverse die that matched the coin that I have.  It is surprisingly uniform on the sides, and just seems off to me.  Maybe it is my untrained eye, but I figured I should ask someone who knows more than me.

I am attaching photos of the coins, obverse, reverse and a shot from the side as well, with the image provided by the auction house.  Thank you very much for taking your time to read this!

Edit:  Removed the name of the auction house.  I am sorry for not checking the rules before posting.

Offline Luisa T

• Auxiliary
Re: Trajan Denarius help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 05:36:25 pm »
That looks so cool! Unfortunately I do not know enough about coins to help you, hopefully someone else here can help!

Thank you so much for your post!

Offline Evgeny F

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:49:02 pm »
Replying, honestly wondering to the mods if there is something wrong with my post.  Still looking for more info, but planning to get the coin graded just in case.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:10:10 pm »
I cannot authenticate or condemn it from the photos but it is an odd looking coin. If you don't get a response, it may be because people are undecided or uncertain.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Evgeny F

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 11:53:17 pm »
Thank you very much for your response!  I was just making sure people could actually see the post!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity