Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Who imitation coin ?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline GIORGI G

• Praetorian
Who imitation coin ?
« on: January 20, 2020, 04:55:47 am »
Hi all in my opinion it’s imitation of Michael IV, wondering your opinion

Offline GIORGI G

• Praetorian
Re: Who imitation coin ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 05:30:17 am »
Founded in Georgia, perhaps local imitation...

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 04:05:31 pm »
Well logically it was somewhere in the empire that the currency was accepted and I am just guessing but perhaps because of a shortage the coin was created by local officials.

It is an Imitation of a class C follis that coinage was created between 1034-1041, I am sure you can find out more information on the empire at that time on how far it boarders were. 

However I am afraid without more evidence of others examples of your coin, we will never know for certain.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline GIORGI G

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:14:38 am »
thanks for answer it was founded near Armenia border with other follises, but this one was different , will try to find out more

thanks

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
Please add size and weight of the coin as well. Most imitation coins tend to be underweight and if it is smaller than the other follis maybe it was created for the need of change.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline GIORGI G

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 01:43:30 pm »
It’s 27 mm , 5.4 gr , and just wondering the worth approximately, had several offers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity